Welcome to Summer Success Programs!
Summer Success Programs (SSP) at UC San Diego serves a diverse and global community of entering undergraduates in holistic five to ten week academic programs. It introduces students to the structure and rigor of the research university, provides them with opportunities to foster meaningful academic and social connections, and emboldens them to take ownership of their academic journey. Students may enroll in credit-bearing courses, and may be assigned an academic support such as a tutor and coach, and residential programs offer a resident assistant to ensure successful transition to UC San Diego.
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Navigate the academic rigor and demands of UC San Diego;
- Attend to their intellectual, psychological, and physical well-being;
- Leverage the University's resources and connections to enhance their academic journey;
- Master the mindset and learning strategies required for lifelong success;
Newly accepted students will receive a competitive advantage over their peers, leaving the program with:
- Early Completion of UC San Diego Coursework: Students will complete up to eight (8) units of coursework toward their graduation requirements and UC GPA, prior to the Fall quarter.
- Academic and Social Support System: Students will have access to a powerful network of faculty, advisors, tutors, and peer scholars that can last throughout their academic (and often professional) tenure.
- Early Campus Orientation and Resources: Students will be able to access and navigate TritonLink, the library system and research databases, residential life, student life, and more!
There are four components a Summer Success Program may include, all working in tandem to ensure students’ successful transition at UC San Diego and advancement toward graduation:
Students will enroll in academic courses, for a total of 6-8 units. All courses count toward graduation requirements and UC GPA. Courses are taught by professors, academic specialists, as well as Graduate Student Instructors.
Students will form a living and learning community in the University residential halls, allowing them to foster life-long friendships and connections. Professional and student staff live on-site to facilitate programming to further bolster their sense of belonging at UC San Diego.
For more Information on Summer Housing for Summer Success Programs;
Please visit Housing Dining Hospitality, Summer Housing Program 2020.
Students will be plugged into a comprehensive network of peer academic support via The Commons. Moreover, they will have access to peer advising via campus partners such as Residential Life, advisor(s) from each of UC San Diego’s six colleges, La Raza Resource Centro, Black Resource Center, LGBT Resource Center, etc.
The Teaching and Learning Commons have launched Fall of 2016. The Commons are dedicated to the theory, practice, and scholarship of teaching and learning. Its mission is to advance learning and creating a campus-wide culture of engaged teaching and learning. It will provide teaching, learning and training for faculty and students in the following areas: Teacher’s Assistants, Tutors, Mentors, and facilitators.
Its goal is to provide an integrated and coordinated network for existing, expanded and new programs, units and centers that enable and promote scholarly, evidence-based teaching practices and excellence in learning.Office for Students with Disabilities
Student Health Services
SHS/CAPS Summer Access Program & Early Start UC SHIP
Your participation in the 2019 Summer Success Programs at UCSD qualifies you for some great health care benefits. First, you have access to Student Health Services (SHS) and Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) through a program called SHS/CAPS Summer Access. SHS and CAPS provide primary care and brief mental health services at no cost or for a small fee per service, depending on the service.
You are also eligible for insurance coverage through the UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP). UC SHIP includes benefits for emergency care, preventative care, primary and specialty care, and many other important health care needs. UC SHIP also includes dental and vision coverage.
What is the cost?
There is no cost to you for the SHS/CAPS Summer Access Program, however if you use any services at SHS or CAPS, you may be responsible those services, depending on the services you received. A one-time access fee of $30 will be posted to your account to be enrolled in this program. Please do not pay this, as your program will cover it for Summer 2019. (For Summer Enginnering Instiute, program will cover only if you are an ACES Scholar) Any additional fees incurred as a result of a visit to SHS will be your responsibility to pay.
The cost for UC SHIP will vary depending on the start date of your Summer Success Program. You are responsible for the cost of this insurance unless you opt out of the coverage because you have other insurance already. Refer to the EARLY START UCSHIP section below.
What services are included with the SHS/CAPS Summer Access Program?
- Scheduled appointments at SHS for care of illness or injury – NO COST
- "In-house" laboratory tests at SHS for care of illness or injury (i.e. tests not sent to an outside laboratory) – refer to SHS website for list of included lab tests – NO COST
- X-ray services at SHS for care of illness or injury – ONLY $15 EACH X-RAY
- Access to SHS Urgent Care – ONLY $20 PER VISIT
- Brief psychotherapy and psychiatry services at CAPS – NO COST
- Urgent Care – NO COST
What services are NOT included with SHS/CAPS Summer Access Program?
Although the following services are not included in this program, students may still receive these services at SHS however, the student is responsible for all charges.
- Laboratory tests drawn at SHS but sent to an outside lab provider
- Special or elective procedures and tests
- Prescriptions and over-the-counter medications
- Immunizations, supplies and optometry services
- Routine health clearances and administrative exams
- Services obtained outside of SHS or CAPS
- Services not listed under "What is included"
Important Details about SHS/CAPS Summer Access Program
- SHS/CAPS Summer Access IS NOT health insurance.
- If you require additional services that are not available at SHS/CAPS, a referral to a community provider may be provided.
- UCSD Summer Access does not include SHS/CAPS services at other UC campuses.
- You may obtain an itemized statement of SHS charges to file a claim with your own private insurance.
When does the 2019 Summer Access Program begin and end?
For students in the following programs
SHS/CAPS Summer Access begins/ends
EARLY START UCSHIP: (For new incoming freshmen and transfer programs only) For more information please visit: https://wellness.ucsd.edu/studenthealth/services/Pages/Summer-Access-Programs.aspx
Since your Summer Success Program begins prior to the start fall quarter, you are eligible for the Early Start UCSHIP (ES UCSHIP) which provides insurance coverage for the period before fall quarter starts. There is a quarterly fee for the UC SHIP plus a one-time supplement fee for ES UCSHIP. The cost for UC SHIP is $677 per quarter. The cost of the ES UC SHIP will vary depending on your program start date. Refer to the Early Start UCSHIP Agreement form for cost information.
Students enrolling in the ES UCSHIP must remain enrolled in UCSHIP for fall quarter. If you enroll in the ES UCSHIP coverage and later waiver UCSHIP during the FALL 2019 waiver period, your waiver will be denied for fall quarter.
You must complete a MANDATORY Health Insurance Agreement form, whether you choose to enroll in or waive the Early Start UC SHIP.
Click here to download the Early Start UCSHIP Agreement form
Health Insurance Agreement Form Priority Deadline:
- Summer Session 1: June 5
- Summer Session 2: June 28
- Special Session: June 5
For more information about access to Student Health Services:
- Refer to the SHS website at https://wellness.ucsd.edu/studenthealth/Pages/default.aspx
- Call or email the SHS Insurance Office:
- Phone: (858) 534-2124
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP):
- Refer to the SHS website at https://www.ucop.edu/ucship/